Short term Vacancy to hire consultants to conduct Comprehensive assessment on the status of Civil Registration and Vital Statistics of the country
Background and context
Ethiopia has enacted the comprehensive law governing the institutional and operational framework of Vital Events Registration such as live births, deaths, divorce and marriage in 2012. The country had made three years of massive technical and operational preparations towards the realization of the conventional registration of vital events which was kicked off in August 2016 in all regions.
According to the country’s national plan (GTP Il), the country was planning to register 50% of birth by 2020. Taking the current rate of registration, which is 12%, the 50% target is not attainable. Therefore, the country needs to undertake a comprehensive assessment to revisit the plan and accelerate the pace of implementation. Accordingly, the agency wants to engage short term individual consultants/University Professors to coordinate the assessment for the various thematic areas mentioned hereunder to be conducted in all regions.
Note: The total number of consultants required is 13. However, three consultants working in Task Team one, four and five will work at Federal level. The remaining 10 consultants focusing on Task team two and three will work in regions including Addis Ababa City Administration.
Objectives of the Consultancy
- To lead and supervise the overall assessment activities,
- To lead the data collection, interpretation and analysis of the data collected in the Federal & Regions,
- To write the final assessment report of the region.
Scope of the consultancy service
The scope of the consultancy is:
- To organize & supervise task team members (data collectors) collecting qualitative data from the community, Kebele, Woreda and regional level,
- Ensure the timely transcription of data collected by each task team,
- To work closely with technical working groups, International and national consultants, INVEA, HSDG/CRVS Project offices, & regional VERA office working in this assessment,
- Understand and review CRVS documents of the country and international contexts,
- To participate in the data collection and at least to conduct one FGD and one in depth interview. This will help to improve the quality of data to be collected in the region,
- To organize, interpret and analyze the collected data,
- Regularly update the national consultant, on the progress of the field work through reports,
Deliverables and Outputs
The Consultant is expected to deliver the following outputs which will have to be approved by IN VEA:
Draft report both in hard copy and electronic copy on the findings of the regional assessment,
Weekly report on the status of the assessment, submitting the report with expected quality and on time.
Initially approximately 45 Calendar days, starting in April 2020 until submission of the report (May 2020). Please note the start/end date of the assignment may change due to unavoidable circumstances in which case a revised timeframe will be drawn up.
Qualifications and Experience
- The assignment needs highly qualified and competitive University Professor/ Individual consultant with the following experience:
- The consultant should have advanced university degree (MA or PHD) in social science, public health, demography, development studies, or a related field,
- Minimum twelve years of experience (for MA) and ten years (for PHD) in Qualitative research,
- Strong writing skills, interpretation and analysis of qualitative data.
- Experience and ability to integrate and organize various opinions and ideas
- Flexibility to adapt to any subsequent changes in terms of reference.
Individuals who fulfill the above criteria are kindly invited to submit the necessary documents mentioned above with your CV and application letter that state your area of interest in the assessment and the regions that you want to be considered within 14 calendar days of the announcement of this vacancy.
For further information you can call 0911 864596. You can send your application to:firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at Immigration, Nationality and Vital Events Agency, 2 floor, Room No: 36, Near Black lion Hospital, Addis Ababa.
Immigration, Nationality and Vital Events Agency